Browsing by Author "Cheng, Ricky"
Now showing 1 - 10 of 10
Results Per Page
- ItemOpen AccessDELIVERING APTUS - OER IN OFF-GRID, OFF-LINE SITUATIONS: REACHING THE UNREACHED(2015-02-24) Balaji, Venkataraman; Cheng, Ricky; Gruda, MichellePresented at Mobile Learning Week 2015, UNESCO (24 February 2015) held in Paris, France by Dr. Venkataraman Balaji (co-written with Mr. Ricky Cheng and Ms. Michelle Gruda), Commonwealth of Learning.
- ItemOpen AccessDirectory of Open Educational Resources (DOER): A discovery service framework to provide structured access to OERs(2019-09) Muthu, Madhan; Cheng, RickyThis paper discusses in detail the discoverability problem of OERs which is considered to be one of the major hurdles of user uptake. The paper also discusses the challenges in creating OER discovery services in an environment where non-interoperable OER repositories proliferate. It highlights some of the OER discovery initiatives at the community, national and international levels, and the case of Directory of Open Educational Resources (DOER), a structured discovery platform set up by Commonwealth of Learning (COL) is discussed in detail. DOER has brought most of the OERs available in repositories that are distributed across Commonwealth region into a structured metadata framework and it exposes the curated metadata to other service providers to enhance visibility. In perspective, DOER has demonstrated a frugal approach to creating open infrastructure for OER discovery by exploiting existing open standards and technologies. To solve the problems in OER discovery, authors suggest that OER advocacy should focus on strengthening discoverability features of institutional OER repositories by persuading them to follow open interoperability standards. // Paper ID 93
- ItemOpen AccessGetting Practical About SDG4 in Teacher Education in Africa(2018-06-21) Kanwar, Asha; Cheng, RickyLecture delivered by Professor Asha Kanwar, President & CEO, Commonwealth of Learning, at The Gambia College, Banjul, The Gambia, 21 June 2018. Co-written with Ricky Cheng, Knowledge Services Manager, Commonwealth of Learning.
- ItemOpen AccessMaking ODL Inclusive: The Role of Technology(2017-12-20) Kanwar, Asha; Cheng, RickyKeynote address presented by Professor Asha Kanwar, President & CEO, Commonwealth of Learning, at the 6th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology and Accessibility, 19 December 2017, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman. Co-written with Mr. Ricky Zhiyong Cheng, Knowledge Services Manager, COL.
- ItemOpen AccessA Minimalist, Reusable Design for an Online Portal to Manage a Catalog of Courses Offered by an Institution: A Case Study of COL Virtual Event Environment Portal(2019-09) Mula, Ravi; Cheng, RickyOnline courses are increasingly becoming a way to deliver the content as they scale to a large number of users. Courses related to many subjects are being offered by universities as well as institutions. With the number of online courses increasing, there has been an increase in platforms, that allows delivering the content. While there are popular commercial online learning platforms like Coursera and Udacity, there are also open-source platforms like Moodle, Edx using which organizations can run a single course or a group of courses. It is likely that an organization chooses multiple platforms to offer content depending on the requirements. In such scenarios, it is important to maintain the metadata of the offering at an organizational level. Metadata helps in discovery and identification and as information to search and locate a resource, provide recommendations, analytics for decision making and many more. In this paper, we present different types of metadata associated with an online course, how the metadata can be put to use, architectural approach to building a metadata platform, and how to build such platform with minimum technical resources. We offer a case study using a course portal built for Commonwealth of Learning (COL), called COL Virtual Event Environment (COLVEE) portal. This portal has about 200 courses cataloged in it for easy access. A set of metadata fields were evolved in a consultative manner, with specialists in subject matters making a number of contributions. This facilitates ease of search as well as navigation. Where applicable, the competency classification is also provided, thus making this portal useful for courses with wide variation in credentials. Built on Drupal, a popular open-source content management system, it can be re-used by any institution that offers open courses. In other words, COL can offer this portal software as a service to partner institutions. // Paper ID 155
- ItemOpen AccessMOOC Platforms: China Online(2014-09) Cheng, RickyWeek 4: MOOC Platforms, module 7 of the MOOC on MOOC course offered by the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (IITK) & Commonwealth of Learning (COL), September 2014. This resource contains a video link and slides. // MOOC on MOOC explores key concepts, methods and practices in the MOOC paradigms. It is meant for both a non-technical and technical audience.
- ItemOpen AccessOER 2012: Paris and After(2015-03-23) Kanwar, Asha; Cheng, Ricky; Mishra, SanjayaTranscript and presentation slides from the inaugural address, CEMBA/MPA Meeting of Partners organised in collaboration with the Open University of Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka, 23 March 2015. Presented by Professor Asha Kanwar, President & CEO (co-written with Mr. Ricky Cheng and Dr. Sanjaya Mishra), Commonwealth of Learning.
- ItemOpen AccessOpen Educational Practices and Quality Assurance: Leaving No One Behind!(2018-11-26) Kanwar, Asha; Mishra, Sanjaya; Cheng, RickyPresented by Professor Asha Kanwar, President & CEO, Commonwealth of Learning, at the International Conference on Open and Distance e-Learning (ICODeL), 26 November 2018. Co-written with Dr Sanjaya Mishra, Education Specialist: eLearning, COL, and Mr Ricky Cheng, Knowledge Services Manager.
- ItemOpen AccessRole of Universities in promoting SDG 4(2022-07-29) Kanwar, Asha; Cheng, RickyPresented by Professor Asha Kanwar, COL President & CEO, at the High Level Roundtable for Vice Chancellors and Heads of ODL Institutions hosted by Asia e University in Penang, Malaysia, on 29 July 2022.
- ItemOpen AccessTransforming learning through innovation: the COL experience(2016-05-24) Kanwar, Asha; Balasubramanian, K; Cheng, RickyPresentation delivered by Professor Asha Kanwar, President & CEO, Commonwealth of Learning, at the Learning International Networks Consortium (LINC) Conference at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Co-written by Dr K Balasubramanian, Vice-President, COL, and Ricky Cheng, Knowledge Services Manager, COL.