Browsing by Author "Olivier, Jako"
Now showing 1 - 6 of 6
Results Per Page
- ItemOpen AccessBook Review: Handbook of Open, Distance and Digital Education: Parts I and II(2023-11-17) Olivier, Jako; Panda, SantoshThe Handbook of Open, Distance, and Digital Education (ODDE) is a comprehensive publication covering key topics from open and distance education as well as digital education. This book establishes itself as colossus in the realm of distance education literature, spanning seven parts, 80 chapters and 1,437 pages. Covering such an extensive publication within the scope of a single review might not do justice to the significant individual contributions of this work. Consequently, this review pertains only to part I and part II of this book, which involves the first 14 chapters.
- ItemOpen AccessMicro-credentials for ODL(2023-10-04) Olivier, Jako; Agbu, Jane-FrancesPresentation on Micro-credentials for ODL delivered by Dr Jako Olivier, COL Advisor: Higher Education at the High-level Roundtable for Vice-Chancellors and Senior Officials at the Open University of Mauritius on 4 October 2023. Co-written with Professor Jane-Frances Agbu, COL Adviser: Higher Education.
- ItemOpen AccessOpen Universities in the Commonwealth: At a Glance (2nd ed.)(2023-01) Olivier, JakoThis report provides an overview of the nature of open universities derived from the responses from 28 open universities in the Commonwealth. The data not only provide a snapshot of the nature of OUs, but also show some evidence of the influence of the Covid-19 pandemic on open universities where institutions had to move all their learning and activities online. Furthermore, this report is a follow-up from the work done in the Open Universities in the Commonwealth: At a Glance (2017).
- ItemOpen AccessRealigning Open and Distance Learning: The Quest for Employability in a Digitally Divided World(2023-10-07) Olivier, JakoOnline Keynote Address by Dr Jako Olivier, Advisor: Higher Education, Commonwealth of Learning presented at the International LET-IN 2023 Conference, Silliman University, Philippines held 7 October 2023.
- ItemOpen AccessTowards Sustainable Open Educational Practices: The NWU OER Fellows as a Case Study(2022-09) Olivier, Jako; Dhakulkar, Amit; Bunt, ByronPCF10 Sub-theme: Building Resilience // In order to create an enabling environment for widespread uptake of open educational resources (OERs) at a South African university, it was decided to establish an OER Fellowship Programme. This programme was designed to empower lecturers in order to adapt or create OERs for their classrooms and do research about the process. For the sake of effective implementation and learning with OERs, this paper proposes that lecturers should become self-directed in terms of the learning of aspects required for successful open education. Under this OER Fellowship programme pedagogical and technical support was provided to the fellows to facilitate the process creation, adoption and adaption of OERs. The Fellowship programme also involved a research component which involved fellows researching an aspect of their choice regarding the development process or use of OERs. This research involved qualitative collection of data based on reflections by the OER Fellows as well as the facilitators of the programme. The study also provides insight into the overall process of envisioning, designing and executing the Fellowship along with the challenges encountered. The pedagogical aspects and shifts resulting by use of OERs and open pedagogy within the unique South African context will also be reported on. Finally, the affordances and future prospects of such an incentive-driven fellowship for OERs and its implications is discussed. // Paper ID 8527